Make the most out of your child's afternoons and register them for the Hudson Bluehawk Nation Afterschool Program! It's FREE and it provides many enriching activities for your child, including arts and crafts, book clubs, science projects, sports and academic enrichment.
There are openings at John L. Edwards Primary School (grades K-1) and M.C. Smith Intermediate School (grades 2-5). The current afterschool session is still accepting participants and runs through November 8, 2017. Slots are available on a first come, first served basis. Any student registered now will also be guaranteed a slot in Session 2 (dates and additional program details are listed below).
Pick up a registration packet for our free afterschool program in the JLE or MCSIS main office. For more information, call 518-828-4360, ext. 4318.
The Hudson Bluehawk Nation Afterschool Program (HBN ASP) is divided into sessions as follows:
- Session I is September 6 - November 8, 2017
- Session II is November 13, 2017 - January 26, 2018
- Session III begins on January 29, 2018
- Note: Students can register after the start date and still participate in the session.
- Hours are 2:45–5:45 p.m., Monday through Friday (JLE hours are 2:30-5:30 p.m.)
- A FREE bag dinner and drink is provided daily
- A bus is available at 5 p.m. daily to drop students off at limited locations – not door to door. Click here to see the bus routes and drop-off locations. Students MUST sign up on the registration form to be eligible to take the bus.
- It is a requirement of the grant that students attending programs at JLE and MCSIS attend five (5) days a week (M-F). Therefore, each student who wishes to participate MUST sign up for two (2) different classes per day for five (5) days a week (except on Friday when Open Recreation is available).
- Students attending the program at the Jr. High School have a flexible schedule and daily attendance is not required.
- Programs offered will be changed every 8-9 weeks.
This program is licensed through the Columbia County Child Care Council. Late registrants will be put on waiting list.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call HBN ASP Program Director Kathy Clark at 518-828-4360, ext. 8306 or Assistant Program Director Mike Fulton at 518-828-4360, ext. 8320.
Full time staff includes a Program Director and Site Coordinators.
Part time staff includes: teachers, adults, college students, and high school CIT who were former participants in the HBN ASP.
For information on specific programs call the following Site Coordinators:
JLE Primary School ~ Arelis Soto, 518-828-4360 ext. 3192
Intermediate School (HATCH ASP) ~ Joanne Allie, 518-828-4360 ext. 3193 (or 1193 after 2:30)
Hudson Junior/Senior High School ~ Michael Fulton, 518-828-4360 ext. 8320
- JLE (Grades K-1) ~ 110 enrolled and serve 100 daily
- Intermediate School (Grades 2-5) ~ 200 enrolled and serve 150 daily
- Junior High School (Grades 6-8) ~ serve 50 daily
- Senior High School (Grades 9-12) ~ provides clubs and courses for students to earn credit toward graduation and summer school
The HBN ASP coordinates services with the following agencies:
Bard College ~ HHS mentoring and Dream to Achieve summer camp
Catholic Charities ~ Positive Me and Fit & Fun
Clermont Farms ~ gardening and harvesting
Columbia County Youth Bureau ~ tennis club
Cornell Cooperative Extension ~ 4-H Programs, gardening, & robotics
Columbia Memorial Health ~ Scrub Club ~ introduction to careers in health field
Columbia Opportunities ~ ESL services, homework help and family workshops
Greenport Garden Club ~ Jr. Gardening
Hawthorne Valley Farm ~ visits to farm twice a week/Cooking Classes
Hudson Opera House ~ arts and cultural activities
Katchkie Farm/Sylvia Center ~ farm to table nutrition program
NYS Firemen’s Home ~ Intergenerational Club ~ 2 visits weekly
NYS Firemen’s Home Museum ~ local history projects
Perfect Ten ~ STEM Programming ~ internships
REACH Center ~ Girls Circle
Sloop Club ~ students building a sloop to be launched in the Hudson River
Whittier Adult Home ~ gardening and crafts with senior citizens
YES (Youth Employment Services) ~ job readiness skills and internships
Policies and Regulations
The HBN ASP is registered through the Columbia County Child Care Council and required to follow strict regulations regarding staff/student ratio, staff fingerprinting and clearance, staff training, appropriate materials and supplies and documentation materials. We are periodically evaluated to ensure policies are followed.